Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day Nineteen - Talking food

So I've totally been MIA the past few days. Two reasons. One: I haven't been doing anything very exciting in the vegan category. Lots of potatoes and oatmeal. Not together. Two: I have misplaced my camera and can't show you what the food looks like anyway. Thus, nothing really to write or post.

Today I experienced the worst part of veganism. Social eating events. Example one: That very nice coworker brings in homemade cookies. You want to show her that you think she's great and accept her offering of food, but you KNOW those cookies ain't vegan. Example two: You go to a church activity. If you are Mormon, like I am, then there will be food. And most of the event is centered around eating the food. And the food? A big ball of meat and dairy. So what do you do? Stick to your vegan guns, or partake in the group bonding that is eating?

That's right. Bonding. It's not just a matter of being polite. Sharing food is a big deal. It expresses trust and a general liking for someone. "Breaking bread", sharing of peace pipes, and first date dinners are all about using food to tell someone, "Hey, you are okay. You probably won't poison me. I trust you." For real! It's a ceremony that is seen all through history and across all cultures. So when someone offers you food, they aren't just giving you a cookie, they are giving a bit of their self and asking, "Do you trust me? Do you think I'm okay?"

And that's the problem. Eat the food or shun the giver. Granted you can always say, "thanks, but I can't. I...." (use your excuse of your choice) ...just ate ...on a diet ...vegan. And it probably won't be a big deal. It won't be rude or make them hate you, but you did just pass up on an opportunity to be closer to another person. I don't have the answer. It was hard for be in both situations to say "no." I guess what is comes down to is what is more important to you, the vegan philosophy or using every opportunity to bond with your fellow man. Both sides have their points and flaws. However, it's something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment