Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Vegan Eve

Twas the night before Vegan Month, when all through the kitchen
Not a byproduct was found, not even some chicken.
Bagged  veggies were placed in the freezer with care,
In hopes that some tofu soon would be there.

The roommates were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of cruelty-free sugar plums danced in their heads.
And me in a sweatshirt, with my laptop alight
Had just settled down to blog, and to write.

When out of a cupboard arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my desk to see what was the matter.
Away to the kitchen I flew like a flash,
Tripped on a handbag and flew into the trash.

The florescent light on the counter and tile
Emphasized the fact that our apartment had no style.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a fallen bottle of B12, that was all I did hear.

Preparations had been made, the research took time,
The shopping list was lengthy and cost way more than a dime.
I had never before purchased tahini, tempeh, or kale
But all the good things I’d heard had really tipped the scale.

I spoke not a word, but put away the stray bottle,
This all came so quick, like I’m rolling the throttle.
For better or worse, I’m going to be vegan
It’s late and I’m tired, so it is time that I began.
(YOU try rhyming with “vegan”)

I thought, “This is gonna be good” as I turned out the light.
“Happy Vegan Month to all, and to all a good-night!”

No comments:

Post a Comment